donate

Friday, October 21, 2016

No Rust for the Wicked

Megadeth were my favourite band between the ages of 16 and 18 and I must have owned about 10 of their t-shirts in the early 90s.
I played Rust in Peace to death on LP and cassette and later on CD after I'd worn out the first two. One of few CDs I still actually own is the live anniversary performance of this classic.
When I first listened to this it was one of the heaviest things I'd ever heard. This is no longer true, but it still contains some of the most impressive guitar work I've ever heard.
Rust in Peace represents the best part of the career of a band which spans over 30 years. Everything they did before it built up to this moment and everything after has been, well, shit.
Every time I listen to this album it takes me back to my youth. Suddenly I'm drinking Mayfield Best Bitter in North Park and wearing my denim jacket with Megadeth Mary Jane backpatch..
When I was at Sixth Form College I was able to get away with playing Holy Wars...The Punishment Due in a class where we discussed music. Nobody else in the group cared much for it. Fools. They weren't impressed by the colossal riff-fest, the tempo changes or the Middle Eastern guitar solo. Unbelievable.
Hangar 18 contains some of the greatest solos ever, due in part to the fact that Marty Friedman was an amazing guitarist and was allowed to at least share some of the limelight with motormouth nutjob, Dave Mustaine. I used to own a picture disc version of this which would have been the one thing I would have saved if my house was on fire when I was 16.


Take No Prisoners was involved in a drunken Skol-fuelled singalong at my mate Neil's house one Saturday night, much to the dismay of all the non-metallers among our group (almost everyone). I was probably impressed at the time by the fact that the word “shit” is used about 20 times towards the end of the song.
Five Magics has unusual timing which was new to me at that age. Everything had to be in 4/4 or 6/8 if it was to be a success. Megadeth were happy to rip up the formbook and chuck it straight out of the window though.
Poison Was the Cure is a fast, hardcore-like Mustaine rant and is probably the album's most un-Megadeth track. It's an absolute belter though.
Lucretia is for me Rust in Peace's weakest moment. That's not to say it wouldn't be the best track if it had been on a later album. The less said about their later albums the better though.
Tornado of Souls was the reason I ruined my cassette of this album. While doing my paper round I rewound and replayed the solos on this over and over until the tape became so tight it eventually snapped. It's impossible not to air guitar along with it 25 years later.
Dawn Patrol shows off David Ellefson's bass talents and produced a bassline more legendary than the one on Peace Sells.
Then we get to see what drummer Nick Menza is made of on Rust in Peace...Polaris. It's a hell of a percussion intro from the sadly now deceased son of the bloke who played saxophone on the Pink Panther theme. It's a pretty heavy number and is the perfect way to sign off the greatest 40 minutes of Megadeth's career.
Rust in Peace is pretty close to a perfect thrash metal record. It was released at a time when the genre was in danger of imploding, a danger Metallica sidestepped by completely selling out and going mainstream with The Black Album.
There are bands who were and still are way better than Megadeth, but none of these bands can boast an album as good as Rust in Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment