donate

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire



It’s nice to get to your first gig of the year in January and a cold, dark, winter’s evening is the perfect time to go and see a line-up of seven hardcore bands.

Well, it was only six for me, because it said on the ticket that doors opened at 4pm, so in my wisdom I didn’t arrive until 5. Broken Teeth were already halfway into their set and it made me wonder if Insanity Alert had played for any longer than 10 minutes. No problem. I’d seen Broken Teeth before and I wasn’t too bothered about missing them, to be honest. That being said what I did see was pretty good and it was nice to see a British band at the one and only UK date on the Persistence Tour.
It being hardcore there was a very quick turnaround between bands. I’d only just struck up a conversation with a like-minded guy from Stockport who wanted to moan about everything when Born From Pain took to the stage. Typical US hardcore with bone-crunching riffs, colossal breakdowns and angry, shouty vocals ensued. They might have been from Dallas, but they were fairly savvy about the UK. “This one’s for UKIP: go and fuck yourselves,” snarled the frontman before launching into a song which was presumably against fascism.
London gigs are always a bit pricey and I had to pace myself drinks-wise, as a perfectly ordinary can of Guinness, you know, the ones that cost about a quid down Tescos, cost approximately 1 Bitcoin in the Kentish Town Forum.
Power Trip were a more metallic hardcore band and they’d recently supported Napalm Death on tour, so great things were expected of them. They didn’t disappoint and there were now a lot of sweaty, shirtless guys involved in a colossal circle pit in the middle of the room.
There was barely time to blink and Terror were starting. I saw them in Leeds around 5 years ago and I wondered if Scott Vogel still remembers me falling up the stairs in front of him. Good times. He was annoyed that there was a barrier as he wanted to see stage diving, but it wasn’t to be. A huge inflatable crocodile did end up on the stage at one point though, bizarrely.
While outside in the smoking area, a guy in a Hatebreed t-shirt asked me if I’d come by myself to the show. “Sometimes, standing for what you believe means standing alone,” I replied. “OK,” he said. If you didn’t spot it, I was cleverly replying to him by using Hatebreed lyrics. They’re not even obscure ones and this guy wearing the actual band’s t-shirt DIDN’T GET IT. I despair.
Madball were the band I was most interested in seeing, being the only major US hardcore band still on my bands bucketlist. Freddy Madball – is the band named after him or vice versa? – seemed like a bit of a reluctant entertainer. For someone who has been doing this around 200-250 times a year for 20 years he has absolutely zero stage presence or between-songs patter. He did thank everyone for skipping their Sunday roast to come and see them, which reminded me I wouldn’t need to eat any more that day following a burger as big as my head that I had eaten at lunchtime. Their set was 70% fantastic songs, including some of the most breakneck-speed hardcore that exists, and 30% “are you ready for Hatebreed?” and “give it up for *insert name of any other band from the bill here*”. They could have played longer for me.
I sold a kidney and got another Guinness before Hatebreed started. Jamey Jasta (how is that surname pronounced?) is a man who relishes being centre stage and Hatebreed are an incredibly cohesive unit. They rattled through all the big numbers you’d expect and it was over before we knew it.


One thing that I must say is I think Hatebreed are good, but they’re way bigger than they deserve to be. Plenty of bands have put harder work in than them for much less recognition. But because of Hatebreed’s fame and clout, they are able to tour with bands that many of their fans might never have heard before, so they are kind of helping the hardcore scene to stay alive.
All that being said, I took a look at the merch stall. T-shirts for £25 and hoodies for £50? It might be true that bands don’t make much from their actual music sales any more and they need to find new streams of revenue, but these prices were frankly taking the piss. I’ll never buy another band shirt again if they keep this up and scenes will die because of it.
It was great to see that there were more than just a few women there too. Hardcore gigs tend to be a bit bro-heavy and the scene has been plagued by allegations of mild sexism for years. I always just thought that not that many women were into it, to be honest, but the Persistence Tour proved me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment