donate

Saturday, January 26, 2013

I'm Shipping Up To Manchester


Deciding to go and see Dropkick Murphys in Manchester less than a week before they were due to play there was perhaps a bit impulsive. It was by no means crazy, though. What was crazy was using fly-by-night, brewery-piss-up-failure experts See Tickets to secure a, err, ticket for the event. The ticket was “sent” immediately and should have arrived in plenty of time. It didn’t, so I contacted them and they said one would be left for me at the box office.
When the day came, I arrived in a very cold Manchester and made my way to the HMV Ritz. This was also a cause for worry, as the collapse of HMV had been reported the previous day and I fully expected the venue to already have been converted into fancy luxury apartments. This was thankfully not the case, so I queued at the box office, full of anticipation.
See Tickets (from now on in my mind: See You Next Tuesday Tickets) had “forgotten” to contact them so I had no ticket, along with four other people who were waiting and having their patience pushed to the limit. This was an ideal time to have a rant with four strangers so I took full advantage. Two girls from Liverpool, one of whom spoke with a German accent, were very upset indeed. Not as upset as Stan Boardman would be if he found out Germans were living in his city. He would turn in his grave if he were dead, which he isn’t. Unfortunately.
A very kind man who resembled Crab Man from My Name Is Earl phoned the ticket bastards and eventually let us all in after a wait of around 45 minutes. Due to this I missed most of Crowns, a Cornish folk-punk band. Luckily, what I did hear wasn’t that great so I didn’t feel cheated in any way.
Next up were pop-punkers Teenage Bottlerocket who I’d never heard before. They came onstage to Slayer’s South of Heaven, which is tough to follow, but they managed it. Energetic song after energetic song, sounding like the result of an unholy union between The Misfits and The Ramones ensured 45 minutes felt like 5. The two guitarists attempted to play a two part harmony solo with their guitars behind their heads which didn’t work at all, but it was all good fun. Everyone in the building seemed to be in better spirits, particularly a drunk man in front of me who must have fallen over about 20 times during their set. Maybe it was him that kept emitting rancid farts which ultimately forced me to move? Bastard.
Dropkick Murphys took to the stage just before 9:30 and opened with The Boys Are Back from their latest album. Plastic pint glasses were thrown in the air as the crowd sang along and danced and pogoed around the room. They played pretty much the whole of the new album, with the exception of Christmas song The Season’s Upon Us (why is there a Christmas song on an album which was released in early January anyway?). The only two songs I absolutely had to hear were The Irish Rover and Citizen CIA and they duly obliged. Ken Casey seems to be involved in a quest to become the world’s roundest man and Al Barr now permanently hides his baldness under a flat cap, but they can still rock for old men. 90 minutes of fun and the band skipped normal show-finisher Kiss Me, I’m Shitfaced in favour of new number End of the Night which seemed more fitting. They then followed that with a reasonable cover of AC/DC’s Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap for some reason. A guy standing near me obviously approved and elected to scream “fucking yes, you fuckers” at the band for their efforts.
A cold walk back to the station and a two hour train journey followed, but it was totally worthwhile. Fucking yes indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment