donate

Monday, August 8, 2016

Rebellion Festival 2016 Day Four



Day Four. The final day. Sad times.
There were still a handful of bands to tick off my list and another few to check out speculatively.
First on the agenda were Healthy Junkies. Straight away I was unimpressed by the fact that their vocalist, a young woman of possibly 20 (she could have been anything between 14 and 30 to be honest; it’s difficult to tell), was being used to sell t-shirts that had a backprint of an actual photograph of her on them. The room also seemed to be disproportionately full of men by themselves who were looking at her in a creepy fashion. The final nail in their coffin was a terrible ballad they started before I escaped whoch had weak lyrics and even weaker guitar playing.
Louise Distras was one I’d looked forward to and we were let down. This was no fault of hers. I’m sure she sounded very good, but everything was echoing too much. Too few people in the ballroom or the old chestnut, “technical difficulties”? I’m not sure, but three songs was all my ears were able to stomach.
The hasty exit meant I was able to see the Popes of Chillitown instead. They were very energetic and helped fill in some of the blanks on my ska bingo card by exclaiming “pick it up” and “rude boy” at various intervals. There was the most energetic moshpit I’ve ever seen at a ska gig which was being led by a man in some sort of religious attire (bishop? cardinal? not a pope though). It wasn’t clear whether or not he was affiliated with the band in any way.
From one ska band to another and Citizen Fish were playing in the blazing sunshine. Socially aware and fun, they had hangovers well and truly shifted. Some people danced and those who don’t dance (such as myself) tapped their feet and nodded their heads more vigorously than usual. There were a lot more people watching them than you might expect and that’s because…
Dirt Box Disco were on next. The arena wasn’t full to capacity, but it won’t have been far off. The crowd were immediately eating out of their hands and crowdsurfing was encouraged, one youngster managing a fairly impressive distance. Inappropriate gags were made and inappropriate songs were sung. One lucky child who was wearing a Spunk Volcano balaclava was invited on stage to pretend to play with them and a little girl sang with them a bit. Questionable parental judgement was involved in allowing this to happen, but they seemed to have fun. Actually it’s impossible to say from a distance whether a 6-year-old in a balaclava is smiling or crying. It was a great show though, possibly the best Dirt Box performance I’ve ever witnessed.
Due to stopping for a lasagne break I only caught one song by the Adolescents. Kids from the Black Hole sounded great and made me wish I’d not bothered eating. Who am I kidding? It was bloody good lasagne.
And then on to what would be my final band of the weekend, Agnostic Front. The godfathers of New York Hardcore. If you weren’t aware that they were from New York, Roger Miret happily tells you they are between every song. If you weren’t aware they were a hardcore band, he handily mentions that constantly too. He’s probably never heard of SEO. Guitarist Vinnie Stigma was quite possibly on something and he held his guitar aloft while the other guitarist – Craig Silverman who never gets any credit despite keeping it all afloat – kept it all afloat. But let’s not pretend they weren’t good because they were actually fucking excellent. An hour of hardcore anthems passed by incredibly quickly and there was even a Ramones cover.
And then I disappeared into the night to hibernate for 361 days before I do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment