donate

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Rebellion Festival 2016 Day Three



And before we knew it Day Three was upon us. At this point people are traditionally running out of steam. My feet and toes hurt due to standing upright in a poor choice of footwear for days and my kidneys hurt, having been punched a bit hard by £4.50 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale. But you have to power on.
I was determined to see more than the previous day.
“The sky is blue, the sun is out and I’m going to fucking kill myself,” Spunk Volcano of …and the Eruptions yelled from the outdoor stage. Good start.
Spunk Volcano is in Dirtbox Disco, as are two other members of the band, and is apparently the chief songwriter. I was expecting more of the same as the Eruptions songs are just leftovers from Dirtbox. I was pleasantly surprised and actually think they are the better of the two bands. The songs were all a lot faster and tinged with 80s nostalgia. There was a Raleigh Chopper on stage for some reason. And had Mr Volcano read my write-up of Day Two? Because there was an homage to Discharge that followed the recipe I described there. We’re all on to them.
Next were Darlington’s In Evil Hour. I’ve said before that they get better every time I see them and this is still true. Six times I’ve seen them they surely can’t improve when I see them next time? It’s practically impossible.
The crowd had thinned out a bit, which is a shame for a band that has been compared to Rise Against and described by a bloke I overheard yesterday as “not bad”. He crowd sang along and the shoppers of Blackpool who were walking past all got a real treat.
Almost as important as music is food and it was time to take a break with a couple of friends and go to the West Coast Rock Cafe for a quick burger. For the first time in my life I bought a sandwich that cost over a tenner (it did contain a full steak though) and I washed it down with a couple of ice-cold Doom Bars. We went on to another pub for a pint and thought it was then time to return to the Winter Gardens .Somehow we’d ended up in a time vortex and it was suddenly 7 o’clock.
At least it meant I witnessed a very bizarre incident in the street from the safety of the pub.
A man was leaning against a building across the road, looking at his phone. Nothing odd about that. On the pavement in front of him was a large cushion about three feet in diameter that looked like a donut, complete with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. Nothing really odd about that either as I was sitting in a pub where there was a stag in an old fashioned prisoner outfit and a hen brandishing a huge inflatable penis.
A police car suddenly screeched across the pavement and two officers got out and started talking to him. Possibly they were attracted by the large donut? Some girls who looked like they hadn’t had time to get a proper tan so had instead painted themselves with some kind of thick varnish decided to intervene. There was a small crowd in the pub watching by now and there was a good deal of speculation about what was happening. The conversation over the road appeared heated
More police arrived and then an ambulance. The self-tanning varnishers wandered off, clearly bored by now. Four police officers were talking to the man who was now sitting on the donut cushion. Maybe he had piles? After a few minutes  the man – and his donut – were put into the ambulance which took almost fifteen minutes to drive away. We may never know what happened, but perhaps this surpassed seeing Keith Morris and Stephen Egerton outside the Pound Bakery as being the weirdest moment of the weekend.
Back to the festival and I was playing catch up. It was time to take in as many snippets of as many bands in the least time possible.
Here goes.
The Crack: not memorable in any way, but I saw two and a half songs.
Jilted John: not my cup of tea and no, I didn’t hear that song.
Psychords: an all-girl group that I’d heard were really shouty. In reality they were a bit Ramones-esque and not angsty in any way. “Can I please have a little bit more drums in my monitor if it’s not too much trouble? Thanks.”
Old Firm Casuals: Rancid guitarist fronts Rancid-sounding band. Yet another of about 50 side projects members of that band have formed that sound exactly like Rancid.
Hardskin: “This song is about working. Something the people of Blackpool will know fuck all about.” The word “oi” was used probably about 19,000 times in the first song.
Flat Back Four: Great songs and possibly the best bass player of the weekend. His hand was a constant blur up and down the fretboard.
Louise Distras: I saw about thirty seconds of her acoustic set, but it’s the full band show on Day Four I’m most interested in. She was at the new band stage before she performed just watching and I had a conversation with her about charging phones. Mingling with famous people again.
After going to the shop for a much needed soft drink, witnessing really loud Ennio Morricone music being randomly played in the street and having a conversation about bookshops with a couple who were either Irish or Swiss, it was time for GBH.
GBH were great, as you would expect. Unless they aren’t your thing, in which case you would say they were loud, shouty and  vulgar. Like I said, great.
They rattled through an hour of greatest hits and then I got out of there before The Damned came on. They were rolling out Dave Vanian’s red carpet as I left.
One more day to go…

No comments:

Post a Comment